Lieutenant-Commander Gerald C Harrison

Gerald Harrison was the son of a merchant, John Harrison. He gained five months time on passing out of Britannia and received his first appointment on 5 October, 1899, to the second class protected cruiser Hermes, serving on the North America and West Indies Station. When she paid off on 8 December, 1900, Harrison was sent to join the first class protected cruiser Blenheim, where he was to serve for two years on the China Station.
The years 1903-1905 were complicated by a broken arm and a dislocated knee, causing him to miss joining College. He recuperated at Haslar and emerged fit only in October, 1905.
Harrison was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant on 30 June, 1908 while on duty at Royal Naval College, Dartmouth.[2]
Appendicitis derailed him for two months from July, 1910 when he sought treatment in Plymouth Hospital.
He was appointed as captain of the destroyer Kestrel on 19 July, 1911. In 1912, he would be commended for his help after Hydro Aeroplane #1 suffered an accident, but in November he was again placed in hospital for two weeks – this time for a sprained right ankle.
On 1 April, 1913, he was appointed as captain of the destroyer Fawn, and "for charge of reduced T.B.Ds".[3]
Harrison was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Commander on 30 June, 1913.[4]
On 29 August, 1913, he was appointed in command of the destroyer Crane and "for charge of reduced T.B.D.'s of 6th Flotilla."[5]
Harrison was appointed in command of the Tribal Class destroyer Cossack on 29 July, 1914.
Harrison was captain of the destroyer Manners at the Battle of Jutland as part of the Eleventh Destroyer Flotilla.
On 24 September, 1916, Harrison was commended for his "prompt action" in an encounter with a German U-boat.
In early 1917, he was again undergoing medical treatments.
Harrison was promoted to the rank of Commander on 31 December, 1917.[6]
On 1 October, 1919, he was appointed in command of the destroyer Rocket.[7]
Harrison was promoted to the rank of Captain on 31 December, 1924.[8]
Harrison was appointed additional to the flotilla leader Keith on 29 April, 1932, to take command and become Captain (D) of the Fourth Destroyer Flotilla upon her commissioning in May. He was superseded on 18 October, 1933.[9]
His final appointment before retirement was in command of the Gosport training establishment St. Vincent, from 6 April, 1934. Harrison was promoted to the rank of Rear-Admiral on 4 January, 1936 and placed on the Retired List the following day in accordance with Order in Council of 9 March, 1914. He was superseded at St. Vincent only after retirement, however, on 1 September, 1936.[10]
Harrison was brought back up on 1 December, 1940 for an appointment at Selection Board Number 9, vice Macfarlan. He reverted to the Retired List as medically unfit on 1 November, 1941.[11]
Harrison died "suddenly" at Blyth, Notts on 10 August, 1943. He left a widow, Katherine.